Rao Bahadur Varada Raj Mudaliar (late) and his friends late Mr.Fazullah, Dr.M.G.Naidu, (late) Mr.Tata Char, Devan Bahadur Venugopal Mudaliar, Dr.Jaisoorya were founder members of the present prestigious Deccan Club, established in the year 1900.
Changing venues – unchanging relevance
The Venue for the Deccan Club in the middle of 1900 was Wesley Compound (Presently Wesley Boys Hostel, Opp Anand Talkies). Under the first President Rao Bahadur Varadaraj Mudaliar, the Club grew in status and strength year by year. The renowned State Tennis Players like Mr.Haddy, Mr.Ali Razak and Mr.K.S.Judge were also members of the Club. The Club Besides two Tennis Courts, had a Billiards table donated by Mr.Rasheed Shenoy of Shapoorwadi. Auction Bridge and Rummy were other games played regularly.
The Second World war not only had an impact on allied nations, Germany and others countries, but also on Deccan Club, as the club premised had to be shifted to a rented building on Prendergast Road, as the premises was sold away to present Wesley Boys School. After the demise of Sri Varadaraj Mudaliar his son late Devan Bahadur Padmarao Mudaliar became President. As he was member of the cantonment board, he had certain privileges which he extended for the growth and development of the Club.